Home on the Range

2.03.2007

Where'd all the Toyota Prius' go?

So it's been almost a month since the temps have gotten much above 20 degrees. Ironically, scientists announced this week that "global warming" is most definitively caused by humans. Um, can I have a side order of "climate change" to go with my coldest winter in recent history, please? Can you tell I've gotten hooked on conservative talk radio?

I had an observation today when we stopped at Whole Foods (a place we like to go, but can't afford to shop at on a regular basis). The place was packed, but I'm guessing that they weren't there to stock up on hummus and organic eggplant for a superbowl party. Nope, that was the scene at Sam's Club today, but not Whole Foods. Most of the shoppers there [enter stereotypes] seemed wealthy (you must have to be to do all your weekly grocery shopping there) and smart (I base this on the fact that everyone had funky eye glasses and a tartan-patterned cashmire scarf, so that must mean they're intellectual). I took the stereotyping to a next level and commenced with the political profiling as we walked through the aisles. I judged everyone I saw as a raging liberal who owns their own copy of An Inconvenient Truth and even gave copies to friends as Christmas presents. With that in my mind, I made a point to check out their cars as we exited the store because surely they're doing their part to prevent any further human-induced climate damage. According to my prejudice, they should all be driving environmentally-friendly vehicles, if driving at all. Here are the results of the parking lot survey:

Total count:
- monster-truck SUV's and Minivans (including us) = lots
- beat up granny bicycle with wire basket for toting re-useable grocery bags woven from hemp cloth = one
- Toyota Prius = one

I wonder if Al Gore shops at Whole Foods? I'm guessing the bicycle was his.

5 Comments:

At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Al Gore will read your blog. He is probably attending a pre-Academy Award party to celebrate his movie receiving a nomination. Or maybe a pre-Nobel Peace Prize party. Come to think of it, the people nominated for Nobel prizes probably aren't the party types. It's kind of interesting to be nominated for an Academy Award and Nobel Prize in the same year.

 
At 7:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! Love the message that you are not so subtly speaking.

The gocery store in Lawrence, I remember when it was in one of the old victorain houses in a neighborhood. When we were kids we used to walk over there to get popsicles out of their freezer case and I always thought it was so odd that there was a gocery store in a house. There new location is nice too, I used to swing by for fresh scones in the AM before work! YUMMY!

 
At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are trying to eat brown rice and whole-wheat pasta that we buy at WalMart. What does that make us,
Chris?

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger Tom said...

That's funny about the cars, it has suppossedly been reported that Al Gore showed up to a promotional party for his movie in a Cadillac Escalade or Hummer or something, I don't know if it's true but I do know he used to own an Escalade a couple years back, so he is contributing to the Global warming as much as the next guy I guess. Don't get me started on Al Gore and all his "intellectual" friends. I too have been listening to too much Conservative talk radio.

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger karin said...

Al Gore has a mansion somewhere in the South that uses 8 times more energy than the average American.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home