Home on the Range

12.11.2006

Christmas Lights

Our friends the France's invited readers of their blog to try to beat their example of Christmas lights gone overboard. Theirs is good, just what we'd expect for Nevada. Here's our Kansas City entry. This is the Christmas house in our old neighborhood in Prairie Village and we've made a point of going by every year. The pictures don't do it justice, but it's an attempt anyway.


As seen from the street. Every window is an animated display..Santa and Rudolf, Gingerbread people, elves, you name it. As you walk up the drive, you can smell the musty odor of the decorations that have been stored in the basement for decades. Tonight the homeowner was out front and we heard him telling someone that he starts in August with the workshop (in the garage..picture below). To the far left, where you see a blue glow, is an animated nativity. The roof is covered with elves, Christmas shoppers, whatever.

The top picture is the roof. Below is Santa's workshop in the garage. Everything you see is animated from Santa and Mrs. Claus to the mice working on toys.

13 Comments:

At 10:01 PM , Blogger Kelli France said...

Holy moly, I think Kansas City takes the cake so far! Some people have WAY too much time on their hands.

 
At 11:54 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Wow! That is crazy! Even though it seems like an INSANE amount of work for the person to put up every year, I am sure they love the tradition and having everyone come drive by.

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger My Many Coloured Days said...

CRAZY!!! Good find.

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Heather said...

alright Topher, I posted my two shots of holiday lights gone wild!
http://letsgoflyakite.blogspot.com/2006/12/for-topher.html

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the KC area and I remember seeing this display. I'm racking my brain trying to remember where it was located.

I vaguely remember it being around 75th and Mission, but I can't remember for sure.

Can you let us know the street its on?

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Topher said...

75th & Falmouth, between Mission and State Line. Turn South on Falmouth.

 
At 10:10 PM , Blogger Chris Keating said...

We would stop by this house many times when our children were young. Now that we live in St. Louis, we miss it. Along with "Candy Cane Lane" (a few blocks south off 81st St., I believe) I had heard that the man had died and was no longer putting up his display. Good to see the pictures!

 
At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, here's a video I just made of that crazy house...

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger Fr. Kent said...

He's not dead, just talked to him the other day. Great house. I always say that it's both creepy and charming at the same time

 
At 7:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother went to the Christmas house when it was over by Shawnee Mission West and I have been going since I was a kid to the more recent location. It wouldn't seem right to miss a season with out viewing the great display. My sister who is now 4 talked about the house for 4 months last year. Sometimes the owner of the house stand our among the people and watches everyone turn into children again. Its so nice and great to have a place that is loved so much by the community.
Thank you Christmas House man!!

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger Kris said...

Awesome photos! Do you remember where Candy Cane lane is? I want to go there this year but I don't remember exactly where in OP/PV it is. Help!

 
At 10:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the location of the famous Prairie Village Christmas house. Approach the house from 75th St because they turn Falmouth into a one-way street at Christmas time.

Mike Babick's
Falmouth Christmas Display
7611 Falmouth Street
Prairie Village Kansas 66208

Here is the link to the website about the house.
http://www.kansastravel.org/falmouthchristmasdisplay.htm


Candy Cane Lane is at 79th and Outlook in Prairie Village and here is a link about it
http://www.sunpublications.com/index.php?view=article&id=795%3Acandy-cane-lane-celebrates-50-years&option=com_content&Itemid=26

 
At 4:42 PM , Anonymous Jeanne said...

He is my neighbor and I think the house is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home