Home on the Range

12.19.2006

It doesn't matter

I remember as a kid being embarassed of my dad's work clothes. He was a hard working oil field welder, but I used to think "why doesn't he change clothes before going out in public?" He even wore a welder's cap which is sort of like a baseball cap, but looks too small for an adult head, almost like a beenie with a brim but no propeller on top.

Today I left work early to surprise Eli by showing up to his 1st grade "Winter Party" (I'm sick and tired of being politically correct, but that's another argument all together. ) He got so excited when he looked up amid the chaos and several of his friends seemed to remember me from when I volunteered in their classroom in September. I then had to go to an appointment after the party. When I got home, I was met by Eli in the garage. Can you guess what he said to me? "Dad, I wish you had come home and changed clothes before coming to my classroom. Your suit (a handsome grey pinstripe wool suit) kind of embarassed me in front of my friends." Guess clothes don't really make the man.

2 Comments:

At 7:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this story was somehow going toward a "brown" uniform so was surprised with the twist.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger My Many Coloured Days said...

Also surprised! Can you believe how young these kids are picking up on things I don't remember noticing until much older? Maybe I was slow.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home