Home on the Range

6.20.2006

What's good for the goose may NOT be so good for Nathan

Yesterday you read about how we handled Eli's not eating dinner by saying we'd have to charge him if he wanted something else to eat. Worked great last night...he didn't ask for anything else and made the decision to just be hungry. He also ate all his dinner, no whining, tonight. The value of a dollar...

Tonight was Nathan's night. We had breakfast skillet (scrambled eggs, hash browns, etc), usually a crowd pleaser. Nathan, however, wasn't interested. It would have been pointless to bring up the $3 plan since he's pennyless. What did work for him was George. Who's George, you ask? The question should be "what's" George. George is my favorite dessert and I requested it for Father's Day. George is a Canadian thing introduced to us by a Canadian lady in our ward. I don't know if it's "universially Canadian" or just a Western Canada thing, but it is GOOOOOOD.

Nathan said he was hungry and asked if he could have some George. "Sure can, dude," I answered, "but first you'll have to eat the dinner we made for you earlier." Would you believe he said "ok" and snarfed down his dinner just so he could have a piece of George?

So, if you have finicky eaters at your house that don't have $3 to buy something better than what you've made them, you could always offer them some George. Here's the recipe:

NOTE: since it has raw egg in it (you do not cook the 1st layer), it should be eaten within 24-36 hours, but TRUST ME, that won't be a problem.

1st Layer:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
3T cocoa
1 beaten egg
2 cups graham wafer crumbs
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

2nd Layer:
2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream or milk
2 T Bird's Custard Powder (this is an imported British item that you should be able to find at a higher-end grocery store, but definately not at Wal-Mart)

3rd Layer:
3 chocolate squares (sweet or semi-sweet)
1/4 cup butter, melted

Combine ingredients for first layer, put in 9" square pan and chill for 1/2 hour. Combine all ingredients for the second layer, beating until smooth and fluffy, then spread carefully on top of first layer. For the third layer, melt chocolate and butter together, then spread over second layer and chill. George is very rich, so it's best to cut in 1" squares.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by which posts generate a lot of comments and which don't. I almost feel bad when there are no comments and feel compelled to say SOMETHING. But if I comment on a rich dessert, I'm sure it will generate a host of other comments -- about me!

I also wanted to comment about the Spam post, but it doesn't have a click for comments. Does that mean the blogger has the final say?

We were in Costco and passing a huge display of cans of Spam when I overhead a couple of kids say, "Eww, how awful." The mother, who looked a little like she may have gotten off a motorcycle (tattoos, etc.) said in a southern drawl, "Well, I love Spam, I grew up on it." It made me chuckle.

Reminded me of something else funny I heard. "You know someone's a redneck if they have a complete set of salad bowls -- and they all say 'Cool Whip' on them."

 
At 11:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can testify that George is very nummy. Chris made it when I came to visit them.

We went looking for Bird's Custard at all the grocery stores in Billings and could not find it. Must be a mid-west thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home