Home on the Range

9.08.2007

Overheard in a movie theater

Last night, my beautiful wife and I were able to go on a date. She wanted to see a movie. It came down to two choices: Bourne Ultimatum or Becoming Jane. Hmmm, let me think about it for a minute. Which would I rather see. Gosh, such a hard choice for a guy. So, of course she got her way and we went to see Becoming Jane at The Rio, a restored art deco theater with one, yes one, screen.

Walked up to the ticket window, which is on the outside of the building, right on the sidewalk. No microphones built into the window or anything. I look at the menu board and say "two for Becoming Jane, please" in a hushed tone so others standing nearby wouldn't hear that I was going to that movie. Jenny blew my cover when she blurted out "they only have ONE MOVIE here! You don't have to tell him which movie you're going to. All these people are here to see that movie."

We got seated plenty early, and the best part was that two "mature" women sat behind us. Here are some snippits of their conversation:

"She just had a baby, but I can't remember what his name is. It's a very strange name, though. I just don't know how she came up with it. Oh, that's right. His name is Davis. Isn't that odd?"

"Did you get your colonoscopy scheduled yet?"

"I had my mamogram the other day. I just don't enjoy those."

I wanted to ask if they've gotten their hearing test scheduled yet, because it was obvious by the volume with which they spoke that that, too, is going bad.

Although nothing blew up in the movie, and there were not car chases, it was [this is where I admit the truth] a good movie. Yes, I do enjoy period chick flicks.

POSTNOTE: I just read Jenny's post. I didn't know she'd already blogged basically the same stuff. At least we're on the same page, and you know I wasn't making up the colonoscopy/mammogram thing.

9 Comments:

At 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit I liked "Becoming Jane" as well. There were as many men in the theater as women, perhaps all dragged there by their wives. I read somewhere the movie was PG and wondered how it got that rating with the frolicking in the river. (Now everyone will want to see THAT part.) I read somewhere that Jane Austen died at the young age of 41 after having written six of the most important English novels in history.

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Topher said...

Yes, it did mention that at the end, and we couldn't think of the other four novels after Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I looked them up and they are:
Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, Emma, and Persuasion.

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Topher said...

Wow, after that comment, I'm thinking I should have jumped on the Fantasy Football bandwagon when I had the chance. I'm feeling a little too sophisticated now.

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Tom said...

I hate to insult a classic author and hate to admit how unsophisticated I am but I gag even thinking about watching that or any film like that. I just can't do it I tried to watch one of the Jane Austin movies without good result. Sorry if I offend all you "high classers".

 
At 12:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I think you must be talking about Sense and Sensibility--my favorite movie of all time. But then again, I fell asleep during Lord of the Rings at the movie theater.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Topher said...

Tommy Boy,
What if I told you there's guys in socks hunting muskrats in the movie? Would that make a difference? There's not, but I thought I'd ask. There is a scene where they shoot guns in the house. That's pretty cool and macho.

 
At 8:20 PM , Blogger Tom said...

Guys hunting in their socks!? Now that would be a good classy movie!!!

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger Topher said...

Tom,
I'm flattered to see you check my blog 127 times a day, but dude, get a life or channel that energy into your own stinkin' blog.
Your bro,
Topher

 
At 11:01 AM , Blogger Darin Stevens said...

nice to see you treat the woman to a night on the town. Lots of guys are losers and won't take their woman to a chick flick.

GOOD MAN.

Darin.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home