Home on the Range

3.03.2007


There were seven brides for seven brothers, so why not 13 miles for 13 pounds? I would have thought after losing 37 pounds last year that gaining back 13 wouldn't feel like any big deal. But, suprisingly, I feel like I've put every stinking pound back on. We finished our Nauvoo to Salt Lake walk last month, a workout goal that worked really well in terms of long-term motivation. Since we finished, though, we've slacked off mostly because we don't have a goal to work toward now. Hence the 13 pounds that are making my new suits feel a size too small and my face like a marshmallow.

So, I've decided to work toward finishing the Kansas City Half Marathon on October 20 [notice I said finish, not run the entire thing]. I figure it's far enough out that it gives me something long-term to work toward and that will be challenging enough that it will take me about that long to get ready for it. Plus, in the meantime I'm going to do at least two 5k's. There's one on Memorial Day that also has a kids fun run after the 5k, so Eli and Nathan have already said they want to "train" for it. Then I'll see if I can find one around Labor Day/my birthday so I can get another race in before the big one.

So there it is - that's my goal for this year. Jenny said she may even do it too.

4 Comments:

At 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

your rock topher! I'm *thinking* about the breast cancer 3 day in October...but the training...hmmm...

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger Emily said...

That is so awesome! I'm very excited for you guys. I will be checking up on you to see how you are doing. Once you start increasing your miles, you will be surprised at how much easier it gets. I bet you can even run the whole half marathon at a slow pace (like I run!). Now I wish we could come down and do the race with you too!

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Susan said...

So aren't you glad you didn't gain 26 pounds back? If you can run and win your age group in the Chief Joseph Run, then you definitely can run the whole half marathon!

That is a great goal, you gotta get Jenny to do it too...

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger shliknik said...

Howdy,
thanks for checking out my blog.

Don't worry...you'll get a medal just for entering! It's a 'finisher' medal so anybody who crosses the finish line get one. If you enter the half-marathon, you'll get the circular, engraved medal. It's the same as the 5k and marathon relay except it says 'half-marathon' of course!

The color, diecut medal is for the full-marathon finishers.

Keep training! You can probably run/walk the full!

My wife and I lived in KC (Mission) last year while she was finishing her residency at KUMed. She found a job in Greenville, SC and we moved in July '06.

I NEVER run on pavement, but KC has a GREAT offroad/trail running group. If you're tired of pavement, concrete, car exhaust, etc, check 'em out. I miss running with a like minded group like them. I'm usually running in the mtn here alone.

Here's the group organizers' blog:
www.badbenkc.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home