Home on the Range

5.20.2006

The Mormon Trail Workout Plan

For those of you who check Jenny's blog (http://accountingformylife.blogspot.com), you'll know that around Christmas time last year we bought a treadmill. The last thing we wanted to do is pay a bunch of money for a "catch-all" so we sat down and came up with a workout plan. I was adamant about coming up with something interesting since I knew I wouldn't stick with a "well, let's just walk X miles a day to infinity" plan. We devised what we call The Mormon Trail Workout Plan, and it's working great!

Here's the premise: the Mormon pioneers (I stress Mormon because as you may know, it bugs the heck out of me when members of the church just refer to "the pioneers." My ancestors were not members of the church, but they were pioneers - in fact, my mom's ancestors came to the colonies during the Mayflower days, but I digress. Be sure to check out my July 24th post in a few months...I'm sure I'll have a few things to say) walked over 1,350 miles from Nauvoo, IL, to Salt Lake City, UT. We thought it would be fun, and motivational, to "walk" from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City, on a treadmill, with color TV, water bottles, and a fan. So, this year, our goal is to walk the distance together. We opted for the "handcart" option, meaning we'll combine our miles to total the distance (are you kidding? I was tired of being flabby, but I ain't walkin' that far in a year by myself).

Guess what...it works! As of today (550 miles into the trek), Jenny's lost 47 lbs and I've lost 33 lbs. That's 80 lbs! We feel great, and Jenny looks hot! I'd like to lose another five to 10 lbs. We started walking with the reward being getting our teeth whitened when we reached our weight loss goals. However, we didn't think about how none of our clothes would fit, so now we're having to save up to buy new wardrobes. Not a bad reward, but definately more of an expense than teeth whitening would have been.

1 Comments:

At 3:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a bit leary when you and Jenny
bought your treadmill, but now all I
can say is, "way to go!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home