Home on the Range

2.08.2007

The wireless age

I've held my tongue long enough. What is it with our mobile society that makes it ok to do things previously unthought of? I'm talking about mobile phone etiquette.

I am not a regular mobile phone user. I used to be when work required it of me, but even then, I kept it under control. We now have a prepaid phone that stays in the glove compartment for emergencies like calling a tow truck when our car breaks down on a country road, calling 911 if we come upon an accident and for calling home from the grocery store to see if my wallet might be there because I just spent 30 minutes grocery shopping only to get to the register without means to pay for my stuff.

Question #1: Does anyone seriously believe it's alright to have a phone conversation in a public restroom? Yes, I've heard of, and am very good at, multi-tasking, but good grief! On almost a daily basis I find myself sharing restroom time with another man who thought that was the perfect time to "close the deal." Do you know what I do? I purposely start flushing so that it becomes apparent to the person on the other end that the seemingly very important call is being conducted FROM THE TOILET. There's a reason phone jacks are installed near desks and not in public restrooms.

Question #2 (and one I'll probably catch flack over): What's the deal with those Bluetooth wireless receiver things? Let me preface this by saying that I know several people who use them for legitimate reasons, and for the reason I understand the devices were created - hands-free communication while driving (and apparently, for some, while using the restroom - refer to Question #1). What I don't get, and may need some help on, is this: did I miss the issue of GQ and Cosmo where it was announced to the world that they are now a fashion accessory in addition to a hands-free device? ...because that's what it looks like to me. I just don't get the people that have them on their ear but don't look like they even have a cell phone.

Two cases in point: I was refilling a drink at the soda fountain at McDonald's recently when the man next to me said "Dude, where is that guitar store at again?" I didn't think anything of it because I thought he was surely talking to someone via his jumbo earring (Bluetooth). Again he asked, but this time grabbing my shoulder "Dude, where is that guitar store at?" Apparently he was talking to me, a stranger, the whole time. How silly of me to assume he was carrying on a phone conversation. Another time I saw a young couple at the store looking at furniture, both wearing one. I half expected them to call each other to discuss which fabric would best match their curtains at home.

Sorry to cut this short, but a carrier pigeon just landed on my car with a message to call my wife.

7 Comments:

At 2:09 AM , Blogger Susan said...

I heard Elizabeth say today, "Hi, how are you...I'm fine." So I greet her back and then turn around only to find out she's talking on her "play" cell phone!

 
At 7:09 PM , Blogger Emily said...

I love the commercial where there is a guy at a convenient store and he thinks this attractive girl is talking to him saying,"Hey, wanna come over to my place tonight." etc.. but she is talking on her hands free set! Makes me laugh everytime.

 
At 10:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pops always has to remind me not to talk so loud when I am on the cell phone. Also, I can't figure out how anyone can go around a corner while driving and talking on the cell phone. I would be in the snowbank!

 
At 5:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in New Mexico this week. It is now illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone in both Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Tom said...

Haha I hate those wireless headsets too, unless you're a secretary or telemarketer or something, but the funny thing about them is people wear them but if they get a call they pull out their cell phone and have to hold it in their hand to get a good signal anyway, what's the point?

 
At 5:24 PM , Blogger Darin Stevens said...

In defense of the bluetooth headset I have one and I use it almost all the time. When I am wearing it I can still do things with Both hands. That is the whole point of the headset. I can do things like DRIVE with 2 hands while on a very important call with a technical group and I happen to be on the road to another meeting and can't afford the time to sit still to take that call. I can write on a piece of paper while holding it down with my other hand instead of my elbow. I can pull my kids around in a sled and not have to hold a phone up to my ear to answer technical questions from customers and technicians that work for me. I can climb up a 200' tower and not reach into my pocket and flip open the olde phone to talk to the guys on the groung sending very expensive equipment up to me on the tower. I can drive a scissor lift 30' up in the air and still have 2 hands availiable to do my job while taking an important phone call. I can take a phone call from you telling me you won't be at mutual while I'm driving home from somewhere and I can keep both hands on the wheel. I can call the person that is either in front of me or behind me while travelling somewhere to tell them I need gas, or that their rear right tire is going flat. (both have happened to me) I can do this with the voice recognition software my phone uses. AL I have to do is bump the little button and say "Chanel Cell" and it calls my wife. "Staggs home" gets me to you. I can pick up and transport my 1 year old as needed while on a phone call. (I work from home and tend to do that a lot) And HOLY COW I am not even a telemarketer, just the president of a small communications company. Then again I tend to be on the phone more than most people I know. Yes I have seen the people running around in the mall sporting their nifty bluetooth headsets and yes that is dumb. But I actually do use the technology to make my job safer and more convenient. So I hope you will forgive me for utilizing a great piece of technology that you and many others have no use for. Wow that is practically a post.

 
At 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would like a wireless headset to use while I work on my sewing jobs. They just need to make it possible to block out the sound of the sewing machine so my friends don't think I am rude!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home