Home on the Range

3.28.2007

Dear Easter Bunny,
It's Topher. You may remember me from when I was a kid. I'm the one who filled the tailpipe of my dad's new motorcycle with rocks when I was three. Yea, that's me. Anyway, um, as you know, now I'm the dad of three boys. Said boys were brushing up on their egg-hunting skills today in the back yard, practicing with those plastic eggs, you know? Well, Eli, the oldest, came in the house and asked if I could help him because one of the eggs was in a place he couldn't reach.

Come to find out, he'd hid an egg in a PVC pipe that comes out of the side of the house. I'm not exactly sure what the pipe is for, I only know that it leads through the garage and then into the back of the furnace/AC thing. The pipe has two elbows on it kinda like a periscope, so I couldn't see the egg through the first one, so after trying unsuccessfully to twist it off, I resorted to sawing the first elbow off with a saw. I could then see the egg at the bottom of the pipe, stuck in the second elbow that then leads to the length of pipe that goes into the furnace. These are the things I tried to get it out so it didn't go farther in:
1. used chopsticks to try to grab it. the egg was too slick
2. tried sucking it out with the vacuum. not enough suction
3. applying caulk to the end of a dowel rod in the hopes that the egg would stick. wet caulk doesn't have much sticking value
4. floral wire to fish it out. um, guess it's meant for other things and not this
5. sawed off the second elbow. out popped the egg. just hope now there's enough of the pipe sticking out from the house to re-attach new elbows and pipe.

Anyway, thought since you're in the business I'd let you know what worked and what didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other dads out there who may have to get eggs out of places they shouldn't be in the upcoming week or so. Oh, and if you don't mind, please just leave the eggs in the grass from now on. No it's not as fun for the kids to find, but it'll sure save me a lot of hastle.
Thank you Easter Bunny.
Topher

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM , Blogger Tom said...

My dad always said he shot the Easter Bunny, so that he wouldn't come around anymore... you could always try this tactic to solve your problems.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home