Home on the Range

12.18.2007

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas

Jenny and I have been talking about how obnoxious it has gotten that people say everything BUT Merry Christmas anymore. People are so paranoid to mention anything relating to Christ for fear of either offending someone or being criticized. I've had enough of the Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays, and feeling like I'm walking on eggshells of political correctness. So from now on, if I'm going to greet someone, I'm going to acknowledge what it is I believe.

Here are two examples of people taking a stand that really inspired me today.

1. Boot shop in Tennessee (I tried to find this on YouTube to embed, but all I could get was this link - hope it stays up on the site long-term). They offer a discount for customers that say Merry Christmas. I'm not crazy about the idea of the discount itself, but I appreciate the message they're trying to send.
http://www.kmbc.com/video/14872149/index.html?taf=kc1

2. Mike Huckabee campaign ad. I'm leaning toward Mitt Romney based not on religion, but on his record in education, business, and leadership. However, I was very excited when I saw this ad from Huckabee. Talk about standing for what you believe in without fear. Pretty bold in the midst of a presidential campaign, but high-five to him for doing it.



So Merry CHRISTmas to everyone!

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM , Blogger Lori Garcia said...

Christmas,

I've been thinking about this, too. In fact the other day, I actually slipped up because you hear these dumbed down Christmas sayings like "Happy Holidays." I was saying goodbye to my friends and the blasted phrase slipped out. I was shocked and disappointed.

Then, I was watching the View last week some time and Barabra (sp?) Walters was sharing her Christmas cards from celebrities and dignitaries and such and they were actually complaining and ridiculing Pres. Bush for sending out a Christmas card that said, "Merry Christmas." They said he wasn't being sensative to the Muslums and Jews and that he probably was so bold because he was about to leave office -- what?! I think that's crazy. What is Christmas, if not the celebration of Christ's birth? Huh, Barabara?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home