Home on the Range

12.25.2007

It's the thought that counts

Jenny and I in our not-yet-ending search for financial independence from student-loan debt wish every Christmas that we could afford to buy each other a boatload of gifts, things we don't really need but would be wicked cool to have. This Christmas we started a new tradition. We're calling it the "It's the thought that counts Christmas exchange."

Here's how it works, the sky's the limit. We "buy" each other whatever we want regardless of the cost. Anything and everything we think the other one would like or wouldn't buy themself. Then we wrap it up and put it under the tree for Christmas Day. We had so much fun "shopping" and even more fun watching each other's faces this morning as we unwrapped our gifts. This way we get all the satisfaction that comes with giving and making the other's day but without the cost.

This is what Jenny got me this year:

Fantasy Football for Dummies: this is the topic of most male conversations at work which means I end up swapping cleaning tips with the ladies because I have no idea what Fantasy Football is. I was invited to join a while back, but I didn't know what it was.

Destination trip to the 2008 Tokyo Marathon: This is on my list of marathons to run someday, and Jenny thought '08 should be the year.
and finally,
wait for it....
A 7-night Exotic Eastern Caribbean cruise on the John Tesh Radio Show Cruise! Jenny listens to John Tesh on the radio at work and I always make fun. I think they listen because it's safe that they're not going to hear something nasty unlike other radio shows at night. If she knows what's good for her, she'll bring me one of those leash things people put on their kids at airports because after a couple hours at sea with John Tesh, I may be tempted to jump overboard.
And now for what I "bought" her.
- A new roof and a bathroom remodel
- A KU hoodie (was actually going to get her one for her birthday, but couldn't find the kind she wanted
- A haircut and spa treatment. And not at Great Clips, either.
- A trip for two to NYC for New Year's Eve complete with a cruise of the Hudson and accomodations at the Hilton Time Square
- A $4,000 camcorder since ours is broken, and what's $4,000 when it's a fake gift anyway?
I can't wait to see what she fake gives me for President's Day!!!!

2 Comments:

At 8:25 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

My presents for Chris were more about the comedy factor. I mean, how much funnier can you get than hip hop dance lessons (one of the entertainment options) on a cruise with John Tesh???

 
At 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of all the gifts you received. I wish we would have thought of that years ago.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home