Home on the Range

7.10.2007

I'm only sort-of nice. That's what I found out today. I've been reading a book called "The Power of NICE: how to conquer the business world with kindness" by Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval. After reading the book (119 pages - quick read, unfortunately no pictures), I took the NiceQ test on their website. I scored 13 out of 20 which means I only have a 65% understanding of nice. I thought I knew more than that about how to be nice and use it to get what I want/need.

The book is great, and I'd recommend it. Then go take the NiceQ test. Better yet, take the test, then read the book, then take it again to see what you learned. Don't take my post-read score to mean that the book is worthless, though. As Jenny will tell you, she thinks I cheat on everything so probably the fact that I didn't have the answers is why I scored as low as I did. But saying that wouldn't be very nice, would it?

4 Comments:

At 3:32 PM , Blogger Emily said...

I got 12 out of 20. Pretty good for not having read the book... right?

 
At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaron got 11/20 and has not read the book. I'll check for it at the library.

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger Jenny said...

I got a 13. I thought at least two of the questions were misleading by the way they were worded.

 
At 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I scored 11. I agree with Jenny that some of the questions were a bit misleading. For example, Q6, "Niceness may be nice, but has little to do with success." I have worked with a number of people I consider as being "not nice," and they have succeeded far beyond what you would expect of a "mean" person. The quiz says it is a fallacy that you must be pushy or mean to succeed. That's absolutely true, but many people succeed in spite of being pushy and mean. So while niceness really should have something to do with success, it often does not. Q17 was also misleading. I believe nice people really are often seen as pushovers. The statement in the quiz was, "The premise of the book is that niceness can enhance not hinder one's success." True, but the fact remains that nice people are still "often" seen as pushovers.

One interesting thing is that I wanted to read Q17 again so hurried through the quiz marking all the questions "False." I scored 10 that way!

Now I want to hit those authors over the head with their book. Wait, that wouldn't be nice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home