Home on the Range

6.07.2006

I fought the law and "I" won


Picture, if you will, Jenny and me driving through our neighborhood with the boys in the backseat (see One Car Family in May's archive for picture) on the way to the boys' swimming lesson. It was a beautiful June evening. I came to a stop sign, stopped (kind-of) and then continued on toward the pool. All of a sudden, we heard the "whir, whir" of a siren and looked in the rear-view mirror to see lights. How nice.

I pulled over and watched as the young officer approached (he couldn't have been over 17 years old). He asked if I knew why he had pulled me over and before I could answer, he said I didn't come to a complete stop. Jenny started laughing as soon as he walked back to call me in, only because she's our family's resident expert on failing to stop (since she was once ticketed for the offense).

The officer came back and said, "Sir, I'm not going to cite you tonight since you're on your way to the kids' swimming lessons, but please be careful at stop signs if you could." "Of course. Thank you. ("And good luck next year at school...Senior year is a blast," I wanted to say back to him).

Jenny calls it LUCK; I call it NOT SO GUILTY.

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you talked really tough when the officer wasn't standing by your window!

I have an acquaintance who was stopped for speeding in Wyoming over the weekend. The officer said, "Could I see your registration?" He couldn't find the current registration. The officer said, "Could I see your proof of insurance?" He couldn't find the current proof of insurance. The officer said, "Could I see your driver's license? He did have his license. Then the officer said, "Sir, I am not going to cite you for speeding tonight, but I am going to cite you for not having current registration, for not having proof of insurance, AND for having an expired driver's license!"

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger Jenny said...

You should have seen Chris quietly sweat it! This was a very humbling experience for him (that I may have been secretly praying for the past 7 years!) Chris, it was definitely your lucky day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home