Home on the Range

10.01.2006

Where'd all the cookies go?

One of my snacking habits is to eat handfulls of semi-sweet chocolate chips if there are some in the cupboard (semi-sweet chocolate is good for the heart). Last night, I went there and asked Jenny if it was ok if I just finished off the bag that was there so I wouldn't be tempted by them anymore. There was about a cup and a half left and I figured it was better to just knock them off and be done with them. She said she was going to use them to make a batch of Cowboy Cookies, but it was up to me...cookies or chocolate chips. I said ok and that it was probably better that she made cookies with them than me pig out and eat a half a bag of chips. Huh? That doesn't make much sense in retrospect.


So, today Jenny made a batch of Cowboy Cookies...four dozen to be exact. That's 48 cookies if you don't know how many four dozen is. I'm ashamed to say that there are...eight...eight cookies left now, just six hours after she turned off the oven. WE ATE 40 COOKIES between the five of us. I'm sure I ate about 20 of them. I feel miserable now, and realize that I've just added a couple of hours to my treadmill requirements this week. But at least I didn't eat half a bag of chocolate chips all by myself, eh? By the way, here's the recipe for the yummiest cookies you'll ever eat:


Cowboy Cookies
1 cup each of shortening, sugar, brown sugar, oatmeal, coconut, and Rice Crispies cereal
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon each of vanilla, salt, soda, baking powder
2 cups flour
nuts or chocolate chips

Mix everything together and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes four dozen. Serves five Staggs, or 24 normal people.

8 Comments:

At 8:25 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

This is exactly why I stopped baking on Sundays last Spring so we could lose weight. It's time to put the KitchenAid to rest again. But they were yummy!!

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Heather said...

sheesh! that is a lot of cookies in 6 hours! My trick is to bake them all and then put most (leave a dozen or so out) of them in zip lock bags and then freeze them. I thaw them out when we really want them. You are much less likely to snack on a frozen cookie- when you have to deal with thawing it.

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Oh my goodness! I always eat semi-sweet chocolate chips out of the bag too. Tom thinks I'm wierd! Wait a minute... no, Tom is the really wierd one because he doesn't even like eating chocolate plain! Crazy! Choc. chips are oh so good. I usually end up throwing the extras away so I don't eat them for days and days.

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Growing up in the Andersen household, that many cookies would have lasted about one hour, not six.

 
At 9:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is why Dad and I hide the cookies from you little scarfers!

 
At 7:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I printed this post and shared it with a couple of people at work. One office mate came back with tears in her eyes and said it was the funniest thing she had ever read. But she does like chocolate chip cookies too.

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger My Many Coloured Days said...

Had to find out what was so irresistable. We made your recipe - VERY yummy and FUN to make with the kiddos. We made 2 dozen - gave away one ate the other and have refrigerated the rest for later - like later tonight for just the parents!!!

Also a choco-chip-aholic (but I prefer milk chocolate!)

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger Emily said...

I made Cowboy cookies yesterday! I had to put the whole bag of choc. chips in there so that I didn't have any leftover choc. tempting me!
Let's just say, after making all the cookies, they were gone in 3 hours! Ok... so we took them to a ward party. They were delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home