Home on the Range

9.04.2006

Weston Bend

Today's family outing was to Weston Bend State Park in Missouri, just about 15 minutes northwest of Kansas City International Airport. (oh, by the way, I'm on vacation for most of this week and we have something planned for each day - I guess I'm guaranteed to have something to blog about each day, then). We had a fried chicken picnic and then went hiking. The Park is perched on the bluffs above the Missouri River just across from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The area was once an important part of the tobacco trade, and Lewis and Clark even made camp here. We scouted out some camping sites, as well, so hopefully we can come back for a family campout soon. It's a very clean park; all the restrooms look like red barns and have (angels singing) flush toilets!The boys seem to really enjoy going on hikes, although Nathan is adament that hiking is NOT a sport. Eli's argument is that it's outside and you're moving your body so it IS a sport. Anyway, even Liam got into it. That is, until, I tripped on a root as he was riding on my shoulders. I face-planted on the path and try as I might, I couldn't grab him as we went down. He landed on his back, but seems to be ok. By that time, he was 2 hours past his normal nap time, so that didn't help.

Tomorrow's outing: Chris and Jenny go to Parkville, Missouri, for a lunch date.

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM , Blogger Tom said...

WHAT!? You had the whole week off and not even one of those days was set aside to drive up here to Washington to visit us? Well I guess we won't drive out to KC this weekend to see you either if that's how you want to be. Hope you have a good week off...without us.

 
At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this picture of the boys hiking! I want a copy to put in a frame.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home