Home on the Range

9.20.2006

High School Reunion

Then
Now
This week I came across, purely by accident, an alumni website for my high school. For several years, I think they just defaulted to classmates.com, but who wants to spend money to post a profile there just to snoop and find out who turned out to be what? Although there's not any personal information on this new site besides addresses and email addresses, it told me one thing. "Victoria, Kansas, finally got internet connection!" If your life is so dull that you have nothing better to do (heaven help you), you can check it out at www.victoriaalumni.com.

My point for this post, though, is that our class didn't have a high school reunion on our 10 year mark several years back. That came as no surprise to me, however, considering no one took anything seriously while in school so why should that be any different now? The only reason I'd want to go to one if they HAD one is to see how everyone turned out. I guess that's the reason EVERYONE wants to go to a reunion, though, right?

Here's how I've changed:
  • I don't roll my jeans anymore.
  • I don't listen to polka music much anymore. (I lived in a German Catholic "village". Yep, it was actually classified as a village - population: 982)
  • I'm not Catholic anymore. (did I mention I lived in a German Catholic village?)
  • I don't have a mullet anymore.
  • I don't 'play' basketball anymore. (I lettered in basketball in high school. I was the team manager. I figured that was an easier way to letter than playing. I was right.)
  • I can do better than a 20-minute mile running (remember? I'm an award-winning runner - Chief Joseph Run: 1st place in my age category (a one-man category)).
  • I have a woman now. (I DIDN'T letter in dating in high school.)
  • I've traded Seinfeld for The Office - it's way funnier.
  • I STILL can't do algebra, but I just care much less about it now.
  • I STILL don't know anything about cars. I can just afford someone to take care of mine now.
  • I make more than $3.85/hour now. Way more.
  • I'm happier now. Way more.

4 Comments:

At 12:30 AM , Blogger Susan said...

Woa, are you sure that is you? You should feel proud - most people gain weight since high school. What is worse - lettering is band (like myself) or as the basketball team manager? Maybe the latter!

P.S. I respectfully disagree on the Seinfeld vs. Office comment. They are BOTH equally funny.

 
At 6:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! This year was my 40th reunion. Yikes! I couldn't go, but probably wouldn't have gone anyway. Haven't been to any of the others. I had good friends, but really wasn't all that close with anyone. The reunion was just a couple of weeks ago and it actually covered all the graduating classes from the sixties. My older sister and brother both attended. Grandpa A did also because he was on the school board during those years and they invited him. My sister said after 40+ years everyone had to look at name tags rather than faces to figure out who people were. Lots of white hair!

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Emily said...

On myspace.com you can look up people who you went to highschool with. (I have actually reconnected and talked to a few of the ones I was friends with) From my graduating class there are about 30-40 people on there. I only graduated 6 years ago and I already have a hard time telling you who some of the people are! The funny thing is, 90% of the people on there are still partying and still single. (to give them SOME credit, I guess it has only been 6 years since we graduated.) Only a few of us are married and even fewer that are married with kids.

 
At 7:47 AM , Blogger Topher said...

No, Davi"s". I was Googling someone's name and one of the results listed them on the alumni site. Gosh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home