Home on the Range

7.13.2006

I bet this is the first cholesterol post you've read today

When I turned 30, I decided to go in for a complete physical since it had been nearly 10 years since my last one. I even had bloodwork done. As a kid I was told I had high cholesterol (you could find me in the Husky section at Sears), but I don't remember it being a big deal since no one made me do anything.. and I was pretty good at doing nothing. Not much had changed at 30 when my bloodwork came back and my total cholesterol was 278. "High Risk" is 240 or greater, so I was at the top of the class. That was September 2004.

A few weeks ago, I donated blood at the blood drive held at work. Today I got the cholesterol results back from my donation. Can you believe it is down to 234?! That's a 44-point drop since two years ago. I won't bore you with exercise talk anymore (by the way, did I mention I took 1st place in the Chief Joseph Run?). However, I guess eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning really DOES work, in combination with regular exercise. "Borderline" cholesterol level is 201-239, so I'm at the high end of "borderline", but that's better than the high end of "high risk".

Sorry if you don't care; I was just pretty jazzed about it, and it's my blog.

3 Comments:

At 10:21 AM , Blogger Darin Stevens said...

That is awesome man. I need to get mine tested again but I am getting close to that 30 mark so i'll be getting it done anyway, but that is awesome. Keep up the good work, you have inspired sone of us to be a little more physically fit as well. AND now I have great bragging rights to praise a friend. "Oh yeah well I have a friend that took 1st place in the Chief Joseph Run." (See dosen't that sound awesome?)

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger Heather said...

I hope MY husband is reading this and is inspired by your story and will get his checked. He was borderline high last time it was checked- about 6 years ago.

 
At 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! All these thirtysomethings talking about their cholesterol. It is good get on top of it now. I do think oatmeal makes a difference or is that just an advertising ploy by Quaker Oats?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home