Home on the Range

5.20.2006

Me, a runner?

Ever since the fifth grade, I've hated running. I had one of those PE teachers (you know, the single female drill sergeant type) that had something against "husky" boys who couldn't run, do sit ups or that stupid climb-the-rope-to-the-roof fitness test. One of the tests we had to do was run a mile. The first time we had to do it, I mustered enough gumption to make it one lap around the trap before begging for a reprieve. Needless to say, she "encouraged" me to finish the remaining three laps, "or else." Aargh, why couldn't she just say, "ok, chubby, just sit here and watch"?

Now that we've been walking for four or five months as part of our fitness plan, and I'm officially out of the "husky" category, I started jogging and am gradually increasing speed and distance. I'm up to running two miles without stopping, and doing it in about 20 minutes. That's nearly 30 minutes shorter than my fifth grade time!

I'm going to run my first race (albeit only a two-miler) on Fourth of July in Montana, the annual Chief Joseph Run in Laurel. Fitting that it's on the 4th, sort of an "independence from lethargy" day. Jenny's going to run, too, as well as maybe some of her siblings.

3 Comments:

At 1:07 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

You keep looking to see if anyone has commented yet, huh? I'm so proud of you! I think you should set your sights on a half marathon, Ok?

 
At 8:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't running da bomb? I think you should aim for the 4 mile run in MT, that's what I am thinking of doing. Maybe I'm just crazy, I haven't run a race in like 3 years!

 
At 10:42 PM , Blogger Darin Stevens said...

I think you are doing great. I was the little skinny farmkid that climbed the big rope in the gym and reset the record like 3 times.....yet I still got teased and my teacher put me in the "Bad apple" section of the class. That said you can't please everyone. Please God and have fun too..........

Good luck on the run.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home